Monday, July 18, 2011

Vaca to SC

Brent and I finally went on a vacation! We chose Charleston, SC as our destination.  I am so glad we did. It was beautiful and there so many things to see. Don't forget all of the wonderful places to eat!

We stayed at the HarbourView Inn.  It was amazing and full of southern hospitality including a wine and cheese reception in the evening and then hot cookies and milk at night.


The view from our room.


We spent the first afternoon taking in the sites around our hotel and then eating at Fleet Landing.  I may be the only girl who would go the coast and eat a steak, but boy was it yummy!  A rib eye with pimento cheese: deliciousness.







Our table at Fleet Landing.


Day two was spent at Folly Beach and then some shopping at the Market. Oh yes, and did I mention the food?  At the beach we found a little place called Rita's.  They had the best sweet tea and a great menu.  At the market we stopped for fudge.  I may have a new addiction to mint chocolate chip fudge.  For dinner we dined at Poogan's Porch. The restaurant got its name because the owners dog Poogan always sat on the porch. Clever.  If you ever get the chance to go, you have to get the Sweet Tea Salmon.  Delightful! We followed dinner with Gelato on the pier.




One of the many historic churches in Charleston.

Day three was spent visiting a plantation and then USS Yorktown. We went to Drayton Hall to look at a plantation home that survived the Revolutionary War and the Civil War.  It was preserved and not restored. That means original floors, ceilings, and paint.  Oh and no electricity or air. 

The USS Yorktown was amazing. I can not imagine being an 18 year old stepping foot on that ship for the first time and being sent off to war.  It was so amazing. 


Check out this tree!

An original ceiling.

These are the stairs that the slaves had to use. Imagine walking up those in the dark carrying a tray in one hand and a candle in the other.

The red showing through is the original paint. The bluish grey was added shortly after the Civil War.


I thought this building was cool.

U.S.S. Yorktown


We capped off our stay with a nice dinner at Carolina's and dessert at Fleet Landing. I loved that place too much not to go back. 



The vacation just would not be complete without finally getting in the fountain. 


I think we have to make a trip back to Charleston soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment